3.0.8 is out! Go download it!...for when the maintenaince ends.
It's nice to be back on Windows 7. I brought my main desktop to school, but some weekends I stay at home. So this past weekend I've been using that old Athlon64 box I installed Windows 7 on. Unfortunately I popped the XP hard drive back in so I could play WoW. I left my portable hard drive (I carry a WoW installation around to copy here and there) at school, and installing from scratch takes hours. I couldn't take it. I've never realized how often I take my measly quad core for granted. When did I ever think a single core could be fast? I'll be saying that about this old Phenom thing in a year or two, watch.
I finally moved away from IE8 and installed Chrome. I liked IE8, but it was becoming slow. Not slow in rendering pages, but in everything else. Not unbearably slow, but slow enough to notice. Sometimes opening a new tab with a heavy javascript-laden page in the foreground would grind it to a halt for a few seconds. For instance, in Gmail when I'd click a link to view an external page, it would choke for a second. It just doesn't feel right.
With my recent horrific experience with a single core machine, I'm wondering if I could really use a netbook or small laptop with an Atom or Athlon Neo. I mean, as slow as that Athlon64 is, and it's a 2.0Ghz 3200+ with 512k L2. It was impossible to have Chrome open while running a video. Hulu playing in a window while browsing made the system laggy. It was unbearable. I might have to build a new system for home. Those Phenom II's came down in price, you say?
I might just have to invest in a small powerful laptop to take around with me and to replace that Athlon64 box. Or I could rebuild that box and with the money saved, buy a netbook for class. Hmmm, choices. Don't you love being a consumer?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment