I'm on a Skype video call with another person right now. We both have our cameras on. It's laggy, but even my desktop's video calls lag because of the latency. Audio calling is perfect, even conferences. The microphone is very clear, and the camera is actually very nice. I'll probably never use the camera again after this test, but just to prove that it works for the sake of science and whatnot.
I'm also running three tabs in Chrome in the background (one HQ YouTube, this blog, and the Skype download page), and WoW minimized. When I open WoW Skype (audio) doesn't stutter at all. Perfect. Then again how often will I even use this to play WoW realistically while chatting on Skype? Umm, quite a bit I'm finding.
My Aspire One could not handle Skype video calls with anything else running (or even audio conferences) by the way. I must have just had a bad One. See that? Clever.
**Edit: I think I have to clarify something. While in WoW, I was in a Skype voice chat (conference actually), not video chat. If you are doing nothing but video chatting, the Gateway plows through it with no problem. However, my router hiccuped about 10 minutes ago and everything started lagging. Hard. Video went crazy on both ends for both users, but audio remained perfect. I think Skype's video implementation is just not as polished as I thought. My friend on the other line is running an Asus Gamer's Republic laptop. Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB of DDR2 800, Vista 64 bit, 9800M, etc. A powerhouse laptop. And Skype started to lag his entire computer like it was doing to mine. Only on video, and only after a big lag spike. It was odd, but I thought I should mention it. After a quick recall, it was back to working. It was almost an hour long call at that point though. Can I explain it? Nope.
No comments:
Post a Comment